Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
UHWO Research Databases
Find articles using the databases that the UHWO Library subscribes to. Although it may be a little more difficult to find relevant information through commercial databases for Hawaiian or Pacific Studies, it is possible! Visit the Reference Desk for more help.
These databases are restricted to UHWO students and faculty and require a UH login and password.
Academic Search Premier (EBSCO)
This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
eHRAF Archaeology focuses on in-depth descriptive documents of archaeological traditions from around the world.
eHRAF World Cultures
eHRAF World Cultures contains ethnographic collections covering all aspects of cultural and social life.
Hawaii Pacific Journal Index (HPJI)
Hawaii-Pacific Journal Index is one way to "look inside" journals. It is not a full-text database, but it does allows you to search the contents of more than 130 scholarly journals and "popular press" magazines published in or about Hawaii and the Pacific. Most of these are not indexed anywhere else in the world. All of the searching in HPJI is by keyword, and covers the article title, journal title, author, journal date, and an abstract/summary of each article.
JSTOR Language & Literature
JSTOR is a digital library featuring scholarly journals pertaining to language and literature.
The Project MUSE Basic Research Collection is an interdisciplinary collection designed for institutions acquiring extensively in the humanities and social sciences and will search over 200 full text scholarly journals in fields including literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, political science, gender studies, and economics.
Use this database to search newspapers, dissertations, theses, and more. Remember to limit your search if you only want certain items.
UHWO Library Research Databases
Access a list of other UHWO Library research databases.
Locating Journals Not Available @ UHWO
Do you only have a citation, but are looking for the full text article? Try searching for it by these three methods:
A-to-Z Periodicals Journal List
- The journal may be accessible online. Click on the link above and enter the name of the journal (e.g., Crime and Delinquency, Paris Review, Time) in the search box. "Journals" includes peer-reviewed journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- If the journal you want is available (whether online or in print) then it will be listed on our A-to-Z list. Click the link(s) to access that journal.
- If you don't see the specific journal or volume number that you need, then UH West Oahu has not purchased it. In this case, try searching the UH Voyager Catalog across the UH System to see if the journal is available at UH Manoa. See below on how to do this.
UH Voyager Catalog and IntraSystem Loan (ISL)
- Searching Voyager for journals will only retrieve print resources in most cases and will also indicate as to whether or not a particular library owns the journal in either print, online or microfilm format.
- Select "Journal Title begins with..." in the Search By window before you click on search.
- To expand the search from items only at UHWO to those at any UH System library, search "All UH Libraries" in the Quick Limit box.
- If the journal is available (either in print or online format) at UH Manoa, click on the GET THIS ITEM link and log in using your UH Web Login Username and Password. Once you are logged in, click on UHWO INTRASYSTEM ARTICLE REQUEST. You will then have to enter the appropriate information (Article Title, Article Authro, Publication Date, etc.) regarding the article you are trying to acquire.
- Requesting an article via ISL takes anywhere from 7 to 10 days to arrive. In most cases, the article will be emailed to your UH email account.
- If you are having any trouble requesting an article via ISL, please feel free to contact a librarian at email@example.com or call 689-2702.
These journals focus on Hawaiʻi and the Pacific. Most can be found online through the links below or through the databases that the UHWO Library subscribes to.
Unless noted, these digital collections do NOT require a login.
Pacific Studies journal from BYUH. Search or browse issues from 1977 to 2012. The UHWO Library does not have print copies of this title but if you'd like to request one from another library in the UH system, we would be happy to help.
The Contemporary Pacific This link opens in a new window
Only back issues available online; more recent issues can be found in the UHWO Library Periodicals section or through Project Muse.
The Hawaiian Journal of History
Back issues and indexes available online. Print copies of volumes 9-10, 12-27, 29, 31-36, and 38-44 can be found in the UHWO Library Periodicals section.
The Journal of the Polynesian Society
Browse or search issues from 1892 to 2010. Print copies of some of these issues can be found in the UHWO Library Periodicals section.
Thrum's Hawaiian Annual
Thrum's Hawaiian Annual began as an almanac with statistics, weather, population numbers, articles about Hawaiʻi and Hawaiian culture, and other information. Available digital copies from 1875 to 1956. The UHWO Library does not have print copies of this title.