Here are a few important phrases to be aware of as you begin to conduct research on this topic:
Credo Reference (UHWO log-in information required) is another excellent database that provides information from a wide range of dictionaries, encyclopedias, thesauri, quotations, and subject-specific titles, as well as 200,000+ images and audio files, and nearly 100 videos.
Entries that may be of interest are:
Encyclopedia Britannica (UHWO log-in information required): is an excellent online resource that covers a wide range of topics.
Some articles that may be of interest are:
This LibGuide was created as a starting point for students interested in understanding the cultural significance World War II had on Hawaii's Japanese and Japanese-American population after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
1. DU1-950 History of Oceania (South Seas)
2. DU620-629 Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii
3. HM1041-1101 Social perception. Social cognition Including perception of the self and others, prejudices, stereotype
4. JV1-9480 Colonies and colonization. Emigration and immigration. International migration
5. JV9290-9470 Pacific Ocean islands
6. HX806-811 Utopias. The ideal state
1. World War. 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States.
2. United States. -- Army. -- Infantry Battalion. 100th -- History.
3. United States. -- Army. -- Regimental Combat Team. 442nd -- History.
4. Internment of Japanese Americans, 1942-1945 USE Japanese Americans—Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945
5. Japanese Americans -- Hawaii
6. World War. 1939-1945 -- Japanese Americans -- Personal narratives.
This list contains additional/synonymous terms that are meant to provide an alternative to the official Library of Congress (LOC) subject headings listed to the left. The terms on this list can be either used to supplement the LOC list, or can be used independently.
Remember to use broader terms for a higher number results and combine or use more specific terms to narrow your results.
1. "Purple Heart Battalion"
2. "One Puka Puka"
3. "Go for Broke"
5. Honouliuli Internment Camp (now Honouliuli National Monument)
6. Sand Island AKA Quarantine Island